:: From Doormat to Flying Carpet ::
When i was in uni, there's a subject called Public Speaking where i think its a compulsory subject. Its pretty tough subject for me as i am not very well verse on my English, put aside the nervousness of talking in front of others. What could be worse when u hv to talk in front of a bunch of people in a language that you are not really good at? Ah, btw, its not too many people in that class, just a small amount of students.
Through out the course, we have to speak in public for few times. few times we got to prepare it earlier and i think about once or twice we had to do it on the spot. I was lucky i got a nice lecturer and i think pretty nice classmates where we supported each other, though there were only 4 malays in the class, one of us always missed the class (MIA). The subject i think was kinda good for me, at least i do get to brush up some communication skills. As my uni is using bahasa melayu as a medium language, so English was an ALIEN to me. I preferred to write rather than speak in english back then. Its all because of I didnt practice much. So, when i went for my industrial training, i felt so awkward where everyone was speaking in English. For the first few weeks there, i just kept quiet, minding my own business. As time goes by, things get better. But yet, still need improvements, no one is perfectoo....
ah.. i am going way out of my point. Back to it then! One of my topics for my public speaking was on how to boost our self-esteem. I always picked a topic out of IT areas, not my fav.. sorry doh. And my topics usually comes from CLEO :p and of course i have to enhance the search from library and net as my lecturer wants a good references.
So, here i want to share few tips from cleo too, regarding slightly same topic, i think they are not the same points that i have during the public speaking class.. but, wth, i just wanna share.. to improve myself, and maybe if u wanna pick up one or two tips from here, you are very much welcome.
How we wanna transform from a doormat to a flying carpet?? can we? (we are not a doormat! hiahia)
- write down your thought in a journal daily. That way you become aware of what you are saying to youself.
- Then journal the things for which you are truly grateful and what you like about yourself. Focus on the positive aspects of your life.
- Look for the reasons you take other people's lives more seriously than your own. Why do u valued them more than yourself?
- Challenge your self-beliefs around how much or little you value yourself.
- Find ways to start trusting yourself, your abilities and skills.
- Look back at all your successes and keep a list visible for when you are feeling worthless.
- Look at the personal 'cost' of keeping poor self-esteem.
- stop comparing yourself to others as this always sets you up for failure.
- Look for professional assistance and pratical ways that can help u break the cycles. A life coach could help you to take charge of your life and live it to the best of your ability.
- Be honest to yourself: decide exactly how u feel about yourself now and ask whether do you want to change that.
May all of us always be a shining shimmering flying carpet!
luv ya, muahhh..